Hymns of Zion #201

"...I want my friends to pray for me, to hold me up on wings of faith, that I may walk the narrow way, kept by our Father's glorious grace...I need the prayers of those I love." Hymns of Zion #201

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Roles and Responsibilities 

A couple weeks ago I became the "Kitchen Coordinator" here at CVE, so now is a convenient time for me to review my roles.

1. Houseparent

At this time I houseparent two boys, Speedie*, a 12-year-old with cerebral palsy, and Zoom* who is seven. I work alongside Marce Salceda who is originally from Ixtlan and we live in Casa Betel. 

Marce


Zoom

Speedie 

2. Speedie' therapist/teacher

Since 2015, I have been Speedie's therapist/teacher. For physical therapy, we do stretches, walk with a walker, do standing exercises, and go horseback riding once a week. We have a variety of fine motor activities including simple puzzles and coloring for occupational therapy. And for communication, we use a program on an iPad and also practice speaking some words and sounds. The picture above shows the resource room where we go from 9-11 AM on weekdays for our "class." 

3. Kitchen Coordinator 

I am still figuring out my responsibilities in this area, but it is basically coordinating food for workteams, communication with CVE staff about the kitchen and meals, documentation, and purchases from the states. I probably spend an average of an hour/day in the kitchen. Exceptions would be when there is a work team or when I go to the states to shop.


The kitchen team: Bertha, me, and Amalia

Other responsibilities 

Piano teacher 

Right now I have six students and they each come for a 15 min. lesson on Wednesday afternoons.

Sunday School teacher

I share the 6 and 7 year old class with Belinda Frank. We take turns teaching. Each time it is our turn we print the coloring pages, teach the story, ask questions, and then the kids color. Sunday school lasts about 30 min. and our class usually has between 7-10 students. On Sunday, we read the story of the Israelites crossing the Red Sea. My favorite part about teaching is reading the story with expression that gets the kids excited!

Church route

Since Whiz and Tag moved to town, I have started driving a "route" to San Isidro to pick up them, their dad, and one other girl for church. Sometimes only one or the other of them comes, so it is still a very small route. 

Thank you to all the prayer warriors who take time to read this blog!

As my first post states, "As I thought about my purpose for this blog, I knew that I wanted to stay connected with all of you and keep you informed so that you could pray for me. This song came to my mind, I Need the Prayers of Those I Love, #201 in the Hymns of Zion. The first verse says, "That I may true and faithful be and live for Jesus every day." 

So thank you!