Hymns of Zion #201

"...I want my friends to pray for me, to hold me up on wings of faith, that I may walk the narrow way, kept by our Father's glorious grace...I need the prayers of those I love." Hymns of Zion #201

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Sand to Skies

(My own summer adventures)

A week and a half ago I visited the beach and Sonora's capital, Hermosillo, with Denver and Katie Slagel, Ezekiel Schick, and the five summer interns. It was a great getaway and we laughed a lot! (Hermosillo is two hours from Magdalena and the beach another hour.)

Never too old for a sand castle!

We went to a fancy restaurant by the plaza on Saturday night after our day at the beach. I ordered "Carne con chile" or "Meat with chili," same dish as Taylor (in the picture). It had three small portions, each a different interpretation of the dish. Katie ordered a mole dish which ended up being an entire rotisserie chicken!


Out back of the restaurant.


Morning brunch at the best breakfast place we've found in Hermosillo, Reforma 255. 

We enjoyed the flowers and set up of their back patio! Here are our five summer interns who have taught so many classes from sewing to cattle to horticulture to salsa. L to R: Taylor, Cheyenne, Sage, Rebekah, and Lana. 

Quick trip to the lookout...

"Every once in a while, it is necessary to PAUSE and just be happy." (painted on the cement at the lookout)

We stopped at an ice cream shop that sells "ice rolls" before heading back to Magdalena. It was a very cool process!


So thankful for that quick beach trip...all the sand, waves, relaxation, good food, ice cream and conversation. The next Saturday morning, I headed for the skies.

El Cerro de la Ventana (Window mountain) round 2...

So much greener this time because of the rain. 

 

This time I hiked with Sage and Rebekah, summer interns.


There she is...Magdalena!


We found the same walking sticks from my hike with my sister Emily and her husband Mitchel. This time we decided to name them...introducing Doug, Stella, and Lucy. Stella didn't survive the descent and was replaced with Bernie. 

Just as we prepared to descend the clouds rolled in. (Compare the picture above and below. The second was taken 2 minutes later.)

It was breathtaking as we watched the mist blow in and surround us!

The mist lifted as we continued our hike.

We saw a lot of beautiful flowers and interesting vegetation this trip.

 

Rain on Magdalena.

I love this picture especially the clouds on the mountain. 


Until next time!!